The purpose of this role is to assist in the development and maintenance of an internal Environment and Sustainability Strategy. This position supports the strategy, implementation, tracking, reporting and communication of environmental and sustainable efforts to the various business units (Operations, Maintenance, HSE, Manufacturing, and Special Projects) across Canada and within Northern Mat & Bridge LP. This position reports to the National Health, Safety, and Environment Manager.
Key Areas of Responsibility & Associated Duties
The Environment and Sustainability Coordinator will participate in data driven strategy and target setting, to enable a future positive impact. The Environment and Sustainability Coordinator will work in a cross-functional, collaborative nature requiring an understanding of the entire organization and environmental issues and will be able to navigate technical conversations and reporting related to Environment and Sustainability matters.
- Conduct data gathering and present organized, accurate and complete data with accompanying, compelling context to inform decision- making.
- Recommend and assist with the development of processes which will ensure alignment between long term sustainability vision, short term tactical goals and priorities.
- Prepare internal communications (verbal and written) and coordinate with teams regarding external reporting to promote environment and sustainable performance.
- Conduct research regarding environment and sustainability trends, changing industry standards, best practices, laws, and regulations relevant to environment and sustainability.
- Provide support and guidance to internal team members about environment and sustainability programs and processes.
- Support the maintenance of internal and serve as resource for internal partners for external reporting.
- Make recommendations for the develop, application, and monitoring of environment and sustainability programs and policies
- Promote companywide environment and sustainability initiatives including, awareness and education for employees and subcontractors.
- Collect, maintain, and provide reports on Social and Indigenous engagement for internal partners.
- Complete required external reporting on environment and sustainability growth and Indigenous engagement, where applicable.
- Work with the company’s HSE and Operations professionals and leaders to ensure appropriate overlap and consistency in the organization’s environmental initiatives
Development and Execution – Field Responsibilities
- Development of project specific environmental management plans, as required
- Complete field-based environment audits, and inspections, while working with the HSE Field Coordinators team to complete HSE inspections and observations when required.
- Conduct testing (soil sampling, water testing, air quality, noise level) etc. and arrange for analysis where applicable. Complete reporting as required
- Assist in incident investigations related to environmental occurrences.
- Conduct site visits (Northern Mat & Bridge and Client facilities and worksites) for data collection and verification activities
- Assist with implementation of field programs for water quality, hydrology, spill prevention and response, groundwater, reclamation, and waste management, where applicable
- Maintaining solid working relationships with all internal teams to ensure industry leadership within the areas of manufacturing, construction, oilfield, and safety, as well as within Northern Mat & Bridge LP, and its various partnerships.
- Technical writing and data collection
- Successful track record of participating in environment facets of multi-disciplinary projects or organizations.
- Experience in environment and sustainability data collection, reporting, and an understanding of the various standards of environment and sustainability disclosure.
- 1-2 years of experience in a relevant field; will consider other training and experience deemed equivalent experience in environment, governance, sustainability (or similar area) in the energy/ utility, construction, or manufacturing sector.
- Experience working in outdoors construction/industrial environment including having an understanding of pertinent environmental legislation, regulations, approvals, permits and licenses that guide operations
- Completion of a post-secondary diploma/degree in sustainability, environmental sciences, or other relevant programs
Other Skills & Abilities:
- Able to contribute successfully within a fast-paced working environment
- Ability to collaborate with diverse individuals in multi-stakeholder situations
- Persuasive communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong technical skills in data management
- Desire and willingness to learn new skills and gain diverse competencies
- Valid Class 5 Drivers License
- Ability to travel
- Salaried compensation will be based on experience and qualifications. We offer a great employer paid benefits package, and RSP matching program.
- This is a fulltime, long term employment opportunity; contractors will not be considered.
- All IT requirements are supplied by the company and a company vehicle, when required/fuel cards are supplied for field travel.
- NMB is an equal opportunity employer and a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
- Reports to National HSE Manager
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org