Northern Mat & Bridge (NMB) is Canada’s first choice in providing safe, cost-effective temporary access solutions for any industry, including; Power Transmission and Distribution; Pipeline; Oil & Gas; Emergency Response; Renewable Energy; Forestry; Mining and General Construction. As a leading industrial service provider, NMB is Canada’s largest provider of access mats and have operations from British Columbia to Newfoundland. Specifically, NMB’s turn-key service model provides confidence to our customers that their access needs will be met. With its internal manufacturing capabilities and fleet of equipment combined with its 50+ yards across Canada, NMB is well positioned to serve its customers.
Reporting to the Vice President, Finance & CFO the Corporate Counsel position provides expert, comprehensive legal advice to Northern Mat & Bridge (NMB) and its companies including but not limited to contracts and agreements, employment matters, and other general corporate matters. In addition to providing legal advice, the Corporate Counsel will be a trusted business and strategic partner to the Executive and Management team. A key component to being successful in this role is not only the ability to translate legal information into an understandable format for non-legal audiences but apply critical thinking as it relates to ongoing and new business opportunities. This position is based out of our downtown Calgary, Alberta office.
Duties and Responsibilities:
General Corporate Matters:
- Developing and implementing pro-active risk mitigation strategies and business initiatives
- Working closely with the Executive and Management team and providing business and legal advice for strategic initiatives
- Managing disputes and claims, including the retention and supervision of outside counsel
- Liaising with registered agents regarding annual corporate & partnership filings
- Performing legal due diligence with respect to transactional matters
Contracts & Agreements:
- Working alongside the Management team as it relates to drafting, reviewing, and negotiating contracts
- Cataloguing and safe keeping of all material contracts
- Reviewing & recommending changes to all internally produced legal documents & agreements
- Ensuring current policies & practices are in adherence with appropriate Employment Laws
- Assisting with all matters regarding terminations & claims made against NMB with respect to Labour Board or Human Rights claims
- Working with the Human Resources group on all employee related matters
- Coordinating & consulting with outside counsel where required
- Represent the company in legal proceedings
- Notarizing legal documents when required
- Examining the legal issues related to new products and services
- Informing internal parties of changes in Construction/Contract Law, Employment Law or other statutes that could have a perceived impact on the business
- Updating and keeping current all internal policies & procedures
- Developing strategies to mitigate against potential legal risks
- Other duties as required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to interact with different departments and management levels across the company
- Ability to provide sound business and legal advice to all levels of the company
- Ability to be discrete and maintain high levels of confidentiality
- Solution-focused mindset with strong business acumen and legal judgment
- Ability to work independently to complete high complexity mandates
- High technology proficiency and adaptable to change
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Highly motivated, well rounded self-starter
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- 5+ years of experience in a corporate/business law capacity
- In-house experience working with a national organization would be considered an asset
- Broad base of business, commercial and employment law required
- Law degree from a recognized institution
- Membership in good standing with the Law Society of Alberta
Please note Northern Mat and Bridge’s corporate head office is in Grande Prairie, Alberta, with operations across Canada. As such, some travel may be required.
Compensation will be based on experience and qualifications. We also offer a great employer paid benefits package and RSP matching plan.
If you think your skill base matches what we are looking for please send us your resume by Fax 780-538-1839, email HR@northernmat.ca, or apply online.
NMB is an equal opportunity employer and a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com