At Northern Mat and Bridge, we have a HSE Incentive Program, which recognizes and rewards our employees for having outstanding safety practices. The HSE Incentive Program consists of three distinctive ways in which we can improve the overall safety our workers:
- Creating the safest company, one observation at a time
- Roads to Success – Safe Driving Incentive
- 100% Safety Commitment incentive program
Creating the safest company, one observation at a time:
- Employees will have their names entered into the monthly draw for submissions of hazard identifications. The card must be completed in full to be entered and the hazard must have been corrected or have a suggestion to correct that works. Value 100 points
- Employees will have their names entered into the monthly draw for submissions of near miss reports. The card must be completed in full to be entered into a separate draw and the near miss must have been corrected or have a suggestion to correct that works. Value 100 points
- All employees receiving a positive recommendation (PO) from a co-worker, supervisor, superintendent, HSE representative or Manager will be entered into a separate monthly draw to receive an additional 100 points, all employees identified as going above and beyond will receive 25 points at the end of the month.
- Employee with valid safety suggestions that are implemented will receive 100 points.
- Managers can assign points up to 200 for identified safety excellence or outstanding performance.
- Completion of all required safety sync training 5 points a course for a total of:
- 50 points per operator
- 85 points per supervisor
- 80 points per mechanic
- 180 points per HSE coordinator/administrator
- 30 points for administration positions
- 90 points for mat plant labourers
Mat Plants, the shop, office and field draws will take place separately. Mat Plant and Shop draws will occur at the monthly safety meetings. Field and office draws will take place during the JHSC meetings. All announcements will be made via email for field operations and office operations.
Creating the Safest Company, One Observation at a Time can result in employees being eligible to win 425 points a month.
Roads to Success – Safe Driving Incentive:
(all employees authorized to drive personal and company vehicles that are monitored by IVMS)
- Monthly driving behavior reports that identify employees, who have zero harsh braking, zero rapid accelerations, zero preventable motor vehicle incidents and zero traffic-related tickets will qualify to receive 50 points monthly. Annually drivers who maintain zeros throughout the year will earn an additional 100 points for exceptional driving behavior in December of the annual year.
- Drivers with zero idling or a reduction of 10% in idling will receive a bonus of 50 points monthly.
- If there is an incorrect speed limit – the employee must report it to the HSE department at the time of the offense or the driving behavior report will stand as receiving an infraction.
The Roads to Success Safe Driving Incentive can result in an employee receiving 1400 points annually.
100% Safety Commitment incentive program:
Onsite, in the shop, in the office, we are all subject to inspections and audits; the recognition of employees “being caught’ behaving in a positive aspect provides the opportunity for instant recognition. 100% Safety Commitment program includes the following:
- 100% in WSO and onsite inspections – 25 points for the supervisor or employee/an NMB hat/t-shirt
- 100% in any client audit – 50 points for each team member
- 100% in facility inspections – Lunch/breakfast/coffee bought for the team (to be determined by the manager)
- 100% in FLHA participation (meaning quality FLHA’s – all tasks, hazards, and controls identified), including all contractors and must contain signatures for everyone – 10 points for each team member